With many thanks to Barry Warsaw for his help and patience, I am pleased to announce that a new format for PEPs (Python Enhancement Proposals) has been deployed. The new format is reStructuredText, a lightweight what-you-see-is-what-you-get plaintext markup syntax and parser component of the Docutils project. From the new PEP 12:
ReStructuredText is offered as an alternative to plaintext PEPs, to allow PEP authors more functionality and expressivity, while maintaining easy readability in the source text. The processed HTML form makes the functionality accessible to readers: live hyperlinks, styled text, tables, images, and automatic tables of contents, among other advantages.
The following PEPs have been marked up with reStructuredText:
- PEP 12 -- Sample reStructuredText PEP Template (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0012.html)
- PEP 256 -- Docstring Processing System Framework (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0256.html)
- PEP 257 -- Docstring Conventions (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0257.html)
- PEP 258 -- Docutils Design Specification (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0258.html)
- PEP 287 -- reStructuredText Docstring Format (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0287.html)
- PEP 290 -- Code Migration and Modernization (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0290.html)
In addition, the text of PEP 1 and PEP 9 has been revised.
Authors of new PEPs are invited to consider using the new format, and authors of existing PEPs are invited to convert their PEPs to reStructuredText to take advantage of the many enhancements over the plaintext format. I, along with the other Docutils developers and users, will be happy to assist. Please send questions to:
The latest project snapshot can always be downloaded from:
(This is required to process the PEP source into HTML. It requires at least Python 2.0; Python 2.1 or later is recommended.)
Docutils and reStructuredText are under active development. Input is very welcome, especially HTML rendering/stylesheet issues with different browsers. We welcome new contributors. If you'd like to get involved, please visit:
Almost forgot. The Docutils package must be installed in order to use pep2html.py on the new-format PEPs, for python.org processing. There are instructions for getting and installing the Docutils package for this purpose here:
This is the processed form of python/nondist/peps/README.txt in CVS.