This thread feels very much like a solution looking for a problem.
But on one narrow point, I'm trying to think of everything in the standard library or builtins that actually forms a total order with elements of the same type.
* Not floats
* I think not strings with unicode canonical equivalence, decomposition, and normalization
* Definitely not sets, tuples, lists, dicts, etc.
* Arguably not Decimal because it is sensitive to decimal context
* Complex clearly not
* I think not datetimes under timezone issues (although any ordering is certainly *wrong* given the vagaries of timezones)
* Queues, deques, etc. don't even try, nor should they
* Do array.array's lack even a partial order?
So really I think we are left with wanting a test for whether something is "int or Fraction".
Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food
from the bellies of the hungry; books from the hands of the
uneducated; technology from the underdeveloped; and putting
advocates of freedom in prisons. Intellectual property is
to the 21st century what the slave trade was to the 16th.