Can we have a new Twisted release within the next two months, say in
Nov./Dec. timeframe, or
sooner if you'd like?
In Twisted trunk, there are a lot of things that would be good to have in a
Here are some of the high order items:
*Python 3 Fixes*
- twist dns --pyzone now works on Python 3 (I had a project 6 months
ago where I would have liked to have this in a release)
- twisted.web.twcgi now works on Python 3
*Python 3.8 Fixes*
- all tests pass on all platforms on Python 3.8, including asyncio tests
*Python 3.9 Fixes*
- all tests pass on Python 3.9.0rc2 (at least on Mac and Linux), (thanks
to Michał Górny)
- Python 2.7 support has been dropped in trunk
- black code formatter has been integrated into the CI for Twisted, and
all Twisted code is now formatted with Black (thanks to Tom Most)
- mypy is now run as part of Twisted CI and checks the code for every
PR. Type annotations compatible with Python 3.5+ are slowly being added to
There are a lot of other small fixes and enhancements that people have
contributed since the last Twisted release.
I would like this new release to be the last release supporting Python 3.5,
so that Python 3.5 support can be removed in trunk, and PEP-526 style
variable annotations can be added in trunk.
Thanks for your consideration.