[ANN] PySPH-1.0a1: Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics with Python

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in
Wed Jun 3 14:57:24 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am pleased to announce the availability of PySPH version 1.0a1.

PySPH is an open source (BSD licensed) framework for Smoothed Particle
Hydrodynamics (SPH) simulations. It is implemented in Python and the
performance critical parts are implemented in Cython.  A wide variety of
SPH formulations are available and new ones can be easily added.

PySPH allows users to write their high-level code in pure Python.  This
Python code is automatically converted to high-performance Cython which
is compiled and executed.  PySPH can also be configured to work
seamlessly with OpenMP and MPI.

Documentation: http://pysph.readthedocs.org
Download: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PySPH/
Development: http://pysph.bitbucket.org

Installation
------------

Please see the documentation above for detailed instructions.

Please note that if you are about to run "pip install PySPH", make sure
you have numpy and Cython installed already (we'll fix our setup.py so
this is not necessary in the future).

Features
--------

- Flexibility to define arbitrary SPH equations in pure Python
- Define your own multi-step integrators in pure Python
- High-performance: our performance is comparable to hand-written
  solvers implemented in low-level languages
- Seamless multi-core support with OpenMP
- Seamless MPI support using: http://www.cs.sandia.gov/zoltan/

PySPH supports a variety of SPH formulations including:

 - Weakly compressible SPH
 - Transport Velocity Formulation
 - SPH for elastic dynamics
 - Compressible flows

Note that this version is tagged "alpha" because it is our first public
release of the new code.  The code is already being used for a few
research projects at IIT Bombay. The API may change in small ways over
the next few alpha releases.

cheers,
Prabhu Ramachandran

Department of Aerospace Engineering,