[python-advocacy] The language for the rest of us?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jan 15 19:45:02 CET 2007

Digg featured an interview with Bjarne Stroustrup about C++ today.  The
full article is at http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000768.html,
but here's a nice quote:

"I think [making computer languages easier for average people] would be
misguided. The idea of programming as a semiskilled task, practiced by
people with a few months' training, is dangerous. We wouldn't tolerate
plumbers or accountants that poorly educated. We don't have as an aim that
architecture (of buildings) and engineering (of bridges and trains) should
become more accessible to people with progressively less training. Indeed,
one serious problem is that currently, too many software developers are
undereducated and undertrained."

Basicly, what he's saying is "I dont mind that C++ is hard, because
programming is supposed to be hard and if you're not good enough to code
in C++, you shouldn't be coding".  That's the kind of elitist attitude
Python rails (if I may use that word on this list) against.  Maybe Python
is the "programming language for the rest of us".

But, that's not to say that only people who can't make it as uber-elite
C++ programmers should be using Python.  If you're good enough to survive
as a C++ programmer, think how much more productive you could be in
Python, where all that mental energy can go into solving your problem,
instead of doing battle with the language.