[python-advocacy] easy as py

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Fri Jul 20 19:15:09 CEST 2007

Carl Karsten wrote:

> One thing that I think would help people 'ease into Python' is the fact that
> python without the batteries (modules) is only like 25 commands and functions.
> and 1/2 of those aren't even needed 'at first.'  I'm guessing you can hit the
> RoI level most people want by looking over about 10 python keywords and some
> list/dict notation.  you don't even need to execute it, just see it, read it,
> understand it.
>
> I am thinking we need about 10 - 20 little snippits like this:
>
>  >>> for x in [1,7,'abc',4]: print x,
> 1 7 abc 4
>
> The above has some important features I find subtle, like the fact that to
> traverse a list, you don't need to A) determine the length, B) use that length
> as the upper limit of a for loop, C) use the loop counter as an index into the
> list.  granted other languages have FOR EACH which is similar, python seems to
> ... um... use lists more intelligently?   (hmm... I have a concept in my head,
> but I am having trouble putting it to words.  may not be important, cuz readers
> of this list probably know what I am talking about.)  Python makes very
> efficient use of a small command set.
>
> So I would like to collect a "one page" set of snippits.  guessing a wiki page
> would be good for this.  Would this be appropriate place/name?
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/EasyAsPy

That's a good idea, I think.  That wiki page would be fine.  Once collected,
it would be neat if someone would organize them into a series of slides
(reST/S5) and then record a screencast that gives a short voiceover of each
slide, basicaly what points to take away from each.  It'd make a good talk to
go into the "5-Minutes with Python" video series on www.showmedo.com.

Along these lines I'm working up a series of screencasts that basically are
code walkthroughs, as I agree with Carl that the beauty and clarity of Python
source can speak for itself.  Can anyone suggest interesting programs, that
aren't too large, that would make great tours?

-Jeff