[python-advocacy] Thanks for Community Efforts on Forrester Research Survey

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Wed Jun 6 23:17:33 CEST 2007

I would like to thank everyone that contributed to the recent effort to
respond to the survey on Dynamic Languages by Forrester Research.  I really
appreciate the many notes, advice and links I received in private mail and
believe it gave our community a strong lead.  All material, including the four
samples of source code provided by volunteers have been submitted to
Forrester.  They will provide to us a first draft for fact checking on June 8th.

They also later interviewed me about the responses, seeking general input on
the strengths of Python not covered in the survey form and clarification on
certain points.  Some of their questions were interesting.

One was how is consistency maintained across the various implementations of
Python.  What checks are in place to prevent forking of the language and
feature creep?

Another was about a security committee that watches for security weaknesses in
implementations and privately fixes them before they become a problem.  I know
there is such a committee but don't see it given much visibility.

And the last question, a bit odd, is whether multiple inheritance is unique to
Python, in the class of dynamic languages that excludes Smalltalk and compiled
languages.

Soon we'll see how we stack up to the other dynamic languages, but in any case
it is good to see this class of languages getting improved visibility in the
IT world.  I think we've also helped Forrester understand the world of open
source better, and emphasized to them that there is more to dynamic languages
than the web.

Jeff Rush
Python Advocacy Coordinator