[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Sun Jun 17 22:45:01 CEST 2007

Michael Foord wrote:
> Ralph wrote:

>>   Esoteric is what I was aiming at, but there is more.  Each podcast
>> would be 30 to 60 minutes and so the project to be talked about has to
>> be on the smaller side.  Jeff would be talking about the theory behind
>
> My *personal* take would be that this podcast has to compete with all
> the other things vying for my attention. If it covers something I
> already want to learn about then great, otherwise it goes fairly far
> down the list...
>
> I guess people are different though and some *prefer* to learn about
> something they have not heard of - I would be worried about limiting the
> audience though.

Remember, Ralph's proposal is for pure audio, a podcast, not a screencast.  It
can be difficult to teach something like Zope3 ZCML or convey web development
when you don't have screen shots or source views.

It can be hard to introduce a new piece of software and get people productive
in it in only 30-60 minutes.  Since the podcast is once per month, you can't
really break it down into multiple casts without losing your audience over
that period of time.

I was thinking each talk would highlight the strengths and weaknesses of some
software, try to provide a comprehensive summary of its features and something
about its history/maturity.  Not so much about the details of using it but
more to raise the community awareness of what is out there.  I think this is
why people like lightning talks so much -- they get introduced to new things
and can then decide whether to follow up on it.

As far as Michael's list, that list represents a pretty commonly-used list of
software, things most people are already aware of.

Since I already investigate a variety of software packages (just 'cause I'm
curious about things), and take lots of notes, the idea was to just turn those
notes into a talking show, without seriously impacting my time in other areas
of advocacy.  Creating actual courseware is a bigger effort.

We are still working up screencasts that actually teach, and we certainly are
open to others getting involved and producing content.  In response to Carl
Karsten's suggestion of running a second track of web technologies, I'm not
sure I personally have enough time to do two, and would like to work with
someone else to make that happen.  Right now, Ron Stephens is pretty much the
audio voice of Python -- podcasting is easy, no slides, no source, just talk
-- so how can we get more people to do podcasting?

-Jeff