[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Mon Jun 18 03:09:12 CEST 2007

Paul Boddie wrote:
> This is an issue of perception, however - that the Rails people are good at
> making lots of noise, while things like Plone seem to be one of the first
> choices in the content management space, even though you probably aren't
> hearing about it. I don't think it helps that despite YouTube apparently
> using a lot of Python, for example, nobody wants to talk about it, and
> there's a continual uncertainty as to whether they really do use Python or
> not. Clearly Python delivers, but the really high profile adopters aren't
> contributing to the advocacy effort.

 From http://www.python.org/about/quotes/ :

"Python is fast enough for our site and allows us to produce maintainable
features in record times, with a minimum of developers," said Cuong Do,
Software Architect, YouTube.com.

I don't think there's any lack of certainty there...

But you are right, getting some of the higher profile users to talk about
it is somewhat tricky.  I've found the best solution so far is to just keep
chipping away at it, through networking with colleagues, etc.

> (It sounds like I'm criticising the success stories on python.org here, but I
> actually think that they're an underrated and underpromoted resource.
> Nevertheless, just as a number of scientific papers I've read recently have
> been somewhat short on the details, there's nothing like an actual recipe for
> success rather than a description of such success, even though most companies
> aren't likely to openly share the former.)

Agreed.  I've long thought a collection of how-tos would complement the success
stories well, but don't look to the same writers to contribute them.

- Stephan