[python-advocacy] Proposal for Monthly podcast series

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Mon Jun 18 10:04:25 CEST 2007

In a message of Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:06:50 CDT, Ralph writes:
>Howdy,
>   I would say it is a good thing if you have not heard of most of the
>projects.  That was pretty much the idea.  I wanted to pick projects
>that looked interesting and would be new to most people.  I am sure that
>not every project would appeal to all, but I hope that as the project
>proceeds, that more and more people would find them worth learning
>about.  And, I think every project must be one that Jeff really finds
>somewhat interesting, or he won't be as motivated.  So, I bet Jeff will
>knock some off the list.  I would like to get other specific
>suggestions.  I don't think there should be a public vote, but
>suggestions that a small group of people review would be great.  The
>plan is that a few of the other locals will help Jeff write up scripts
>and plan the podcasts.  But, when they come out each month, the topic
>should be a surprise.  I want people to look forward to checking out
>what his project is.

I think that whether this works depends on whether you are the sort of
person who watches podcasts for fun.  I'm not, but I don't own a tv
either.  So in order to get me to watch a podcast at all, it has to be
about something that I already know I want to learn about.  And I will
read the text-accompaniment first, and only if that looks interesting
will I start the podcast.  This puts me on one far end of the spectrum
of possible viewing audience.  Somewhere out there is somebody who
hates reading books and will always go for a podcast every single time.
How does our audience sort out between these extremes? I don't know.

>Your concern about being seen to endorse a project
>is one I have thought about.  We need to say somehow that this is
>basically a research project.  The projects we talk about are good
>enough to be worth learning about.

I don't understand this.  If you are saying that 'these projects are
research projects' then you will offend those creators who think of
their projects as completely ready for commercial deployment right
now.  If, instead, you are saying 'the podcasts are to be thought of as
a research project', ah, how does that follow?  What is research about
it?  Promote something and then measure if it gets more popular?  But
that's the whole reason for the caution.

>The fact that we will be cranking
>them out once a month should also help to allay that concern. Jeff is
>certainly a leader in the local Python community and is making strides
>in the bigger community.  Buy, I don't think his endorsement, if these
>are perceived as endorsements, will carry similar weight to Guido's.

If it is seen as a PSF action it ought to, and there is the rub.

> I think the three projects you mention are too large to include, but
>parts of them might be possible.  Athena, Dojo or Mochikit, for example
>might work.
> I won't keep adding this paragraph, but some people tell me I come off
>too strong.  I am going to give my thoughts in my response, but I don't
>think I know all the answers.  I am by no means a Python expert,
>although I am learning.  Jeff is an expert, and he enjoys learning about
>new Python projects.  I am trying to gather enough information to
>proceed with the podcasts, and I appreciate the input.  I'll be
>collecting all the responses on this subject.  I'll bring them to the
>DFW Python meetings and we will talk about them there.
>  Useful but dangerous make me think I can count you as +1 on the idea
>for now.
>Thank you,

You are most welcome.

Laura