[python-advocacy] Starting a Users Group

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Tue May 29 23:00:10 CEST 2007

I started the SoCal Piggies group (Southern California). Here are some
answers to your questions:

Our group meets once a month. We typically have 2 to 3 people
presenting on their topic of choice. Presentations are typically 30 to
45 minutes long. We have a Web site/wiki at www.socal-piggies.org where
you can see what has been presented since 2005, when our group started.

Some benefits of having a Python user group:
* getting Python enthusiasts together -- great way to generate ideas
for new projects, or get collaborators for existing projects
* learning something every month
* sharpening your presentation skills
* spreading the word about Python
* job networking

...but maybe most importantly, it's just the pleasure of sitting in the
same room and talking with people passioned about Python. Think
miniature PyCon.

If I were you, I'd advertise on comp.lang.python and on blog(s)
aggregated into Planet Python.

As for a mailing list, you can get a Google project hosted at
code.google.com. That'll give you a wiki, a mailing list, and svn, all
for free.

Grig