[python-advocacy] Second-Term Status Report for Python Advocacy

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Sep 24 17:45:37 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Yeah, I don't see much by way of a grassroots movement either. I
> see the same thing in The Python Papers. I've always seen TPP as a
> tool for advocacy also, or at least for community-building which is
> a related concept. If the money were available, I could see a real
> argument for paying three or four really talented people to focus on
> Python marketing projects. Unfortunately, I believe that a task like
> co-ordinating advocacy (or indeed running a magazine) is something
> that needs a *lot* of time spent on it building relationships and
> doing the hard work. I am not sure that such a task lends itself to
> a leaderless model. I think that Python could really benefit from
> some individuals to go out there and sell it to organisations, major
> groups and so forth. Python needs to get more mind-share from people
> currently outside the Python community, especially in business. Yes,
> I know there are a lot of success stories, but there is really no
> business portal to Python.  There is not a lot there in academia,
> major software magazines or business journals which promote the use of
> Python. I think all of that will take a lot more than people's spare
> hours.

This is reminding me a bit of the current discussion about the GIL,
where one person referred to Python's lack of built-in concurrency a
"crisis".  (I'm pointing particularly at "Python needs to get more
mind-share".)

While I think advocacy for Python is a Good Thing (prima facie evidence
is my presence on this list; plus co-authoring _Python for Dummies_;
plus...), I also believe that organized, formal advocacy is not essential
for Python.  Although I was (and to a certain extent am still) in favor
of using the PSF's money to fund advocacy (speaking as a PSF member), I
think that when you start saying that Python *needs* organized advocacy,
you need to justify your statement.  That goes double because many people
in the Python community have even greater antipathy toward organized
advocacy than I do.

I suggest that in many ways a better purpose for this list is to focus on
ways to get better advocacy out of the resources that present themselves
rather than trying to get more resources for advocacy.

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.