[python-advocacy] [PyCON-Organizers] Fox News

Stephan Deibel (PSF) sdeibel at python.org
Fri Mar 7 01:12:20 CET 2008

Daniel Schneider wrote:
> I'm doing the PR for PyCon and set up the Fox opportunity.  Upon
> speaking with Fox, it's apparent to me that they are interested more in
> how this helps Chicago than anything else.  They are looking at the
> larger picture-- how it relates to technology, or a technological trend
> in Chicago.  Or at least that's the angle I'm pushing because that's the
> one that seems to attract their attention.  The big names are nice and
> help but we need to explain the importance of PyCon as it relates to
> technology in general and technology in Chicago.  What value does it add
> to the city?  Why even have it in Chicago?  Just some things to
> consider.  It would be great if a TV crew came out, and I'm working on that.

Lots of places are trying to become centers for one kind of technology or
another, because of the obvious economic benefits.  Often, the strategy is
to get as few big players to buy into the area.  Other times, the goal is
to get lots of small companies to cluster, and hope that one or a few grow
into big economic engines.  I suspect the latter is a much better strategy
overall.  It's cheaper than luring big companies where towns often pay out
large sums in various ways, and avoids putting all the economic eggs in
one basket.

Python is a good example of a small concern that is turning big, or at least
so it seems from the growth of the conference, among other things.

Hmm, I suspect this is already way too complicated for a Fox sound bite.  ;-)

Another possible point to make is that PyCon came to Chicago because of the
active local users, so it's an example of how one part of the technology
economy is spawning another.  Tho I don't know much about what companies/etc
are involved.

In any case, figuring just the hotel + food costs, the local economic benefit
is certainly non-trivial.  In this light, perhaps the fact that it's a
volunteer-run convention could be of interest.  It's an example of grass-roots
economic growth.

BTW, I seem to have never gone to Chicago except for one convention or another.
In the city, they have Mc Cormick Place, which is quite huge (largest convention
center in the US).  So I've already got this idea that Chicago is a "convention
city".

Not sure if any of this is useful... just thought I'd comment.

- Stephan