[python-advocacy] Packaging usage survey ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 09:21:34 CET 2008

Hello,

The threads in packaging-related topics that were going on in the last few
days in python-dev,
catalog-sig and distutils-sig, made me feel like think there's a lack of
shared
knowledge about how people work out there.

I think a community survey could be interesting to know how people work, how
they distribute
their Python code, what works well for them and what is painful.

I mean, we know and see that PyPI is used, and we understand that there are
several strategies
to deploy an application composed of many extensions, but we don't have imho
a clear picture
on how the crowd out there works really.

And this survey would need to be wider than the developers that reads the
python mailing lists,
if possible.

My 2 eurocents

Tarek