[python-advocacy] Python culture clash complaint

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sat May 24 15:52:17 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> On May 18, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Brad Allen wrote:
>>
>> Here is a blog from a developer exploring Python but getting frustrated
>> with the community attitude...
>
> Another example is the thread that's currently going on in comp.lang.python
> under the subject, "unittest: Calling tests in liner number order".
>
> In a nutshell, somebody suggested a change to unittest which people didn't
> think was a good idea.  The OP went to the trouble of reading the sources
> and posting a diff for the change he was suggesting.  In other words, he
> invested a fair amount of work to suggest what he felt was an improvement
> and offered his work back to the community.  He asked:
>
>> Does the following patch has a chance of being introduced in the
>> standard python distribution?
>
> and got back responses such as,
>
>> I certainly hope not!
>

> and
>
>> No and no. If anything, unit test cases should be run in a completely
>> *non*-deterministic sequence.
>
> I know tone is a subtle thing, but if I was the OP, I would come away from
> the whole exchange feeling like I'd gotten my head bitten off.  Nobody said,
> "Thank you for taking the time to post the diffs..." (actually, I'm working
> on that response now).

Here is a link to the posts, so that everyone can read them in context:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/50cc3ca362bbd488#

The 2 people that disagreed with the OP both had stated reasons as to
why they disagree.  They didn't just say "dumb idea." and leave it at
that.  The second poster encouraged the OP to write why they felt it
was necessary, to me that appears to be a call for futher exploration
of the topic.   While I don't perceive it in the same way as Roy,  I
am glad that Roy posted his response.

I believe that reflection is a necessary part of growth, sometimes we
can be too self-critical.  We can't control what every person posts to
the list and the tone they use.  What can be done, is what Roy has
done.  Lead by example.  If you happen to come across a post that you
believe is unpythonic, do what you can to rectify that situation.  We
all are guilty of using to few words or the wrong ones from time to
time and we all know that unintentional consequences can occur as a
result of a hasty post.  (When I say we, I actually mean me, but I'm
assuming that I am not a universal anomaly<g>)

So in short, do like Roy did.  If you are an advocate for Python it
doesn't just mean expounding on the virtues of the language, sometimes
it means being an ambassador.

-Jeff