[python-advocacy] intro to python intro, Implementation list

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Nov 25 19:50:43 CET 2008

I am doing a talk: Intro to Python, or Everything you need to know about Python,
or something.  I did the talk at a linux user group, and it went pretty good - I
 plan on doing it more, so fleshing out some parts.

In the intro, I want to point out 'this' (and I am not going to speak it all, so
wordynes applies to written, not spoken.)

Implementations:
CPython - Mac, Unix (Linux, Solaris, AIX, etc), Windows, HPUX, BeOS, iPod, OS2,
Palm, PS2, xBox and more.
Jython - runs in Java
Iron Python, Python.net – runs in the .net clr (so Mono too)
PyPy – Python written in Python, complies Reduced Python to C code.
PyS60 - Python for S60 mobile phones.
Open Office, Gimp, InkScape, Pidgin, xChat, vim, emacs – all have python
embedded in them (I think it is typically CPython, not sure the details.)

There are about 40 platforms listed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPython#Supported_platforms
Wich I think is a bit too much for the intro.  unless I do a slide dedicated to
that, or do a Slide2.0 Tag Cloud looking thing so that they are all up there but
don't take up much space.

Does my list seem accurate enough?

Carl K