[python-advocacy] How programming language webpages should be designed

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Sun Nov 8 19:30:08 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 18:56, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>> if one promotes Python, should programs use Python 3
>> syntax and features when many people will still be encountering Python 2
>> programs? It doesn't help that right at the very start of a beginner's
>> experience with Python, there's a divergence between the dialects involving
>> the print statement.
>
> If the goal of what this list and thread is about is to promote python
> (which i am sure it is) then the site should use the new and improved
> Python 3.

I disagree with you there. We're still positioning Python 2.6 as the
recommended version for most people, right? Python 3.1 is the
cutting-edge version for those who know what they're doing. I think
it's a great idea to put some code on the front page, with a link to
further examples. Part of that should be a clear (but brief)
explanation of the differences between 2.x and 3.x, specifically their
audiences: who they're aimed at. Such a clear explanation is currently
missing. A "Which Python?" link or sidebar should be prominent.

As long as 2.x is listed first on the left-hand side under downloads,
we should use 2.x syntax for intros, with links (or sidebars,
whatever) to 3.x equivalents. When 2.x becomes legacy, then switch
everything to 3.x.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>