[python-advocacy] How programming language webpages should be designed

Jason Baker amnorvend at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 23:59:20 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009, Michael Foord wrote:
>>
>> Personally I doubt the news items are important to *new* visitors of the
>> Python.org site - who are the most important visitors. I would have no
>> objection to pushing the news items down in favour of a prominent code
>> example like that.
>
> This has been discussed before, and so far the sentiment among people
> actually maintaining the website is to consider existing Python users an
> important clientele.

I don't disagree with that.  The problem that I see is that the front
page aims at so many different categories of people that it's useful
to none of them.

Why not give existing python devs their own "homepage" with that kind
of thing on it?  I think that's better for devs in the long run
anyway.  Much as I hate to use Microsoft as an example, some of the
MSDN pages are actually good examples of how this could work:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vcsharp/default.aspx