[python-advocacy] Help with IronPython presentation

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 24 17:25:15 CET 2010

On 24/03/2010 16:24, Cameron Laird wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 03:40:56PM +0000, Michael Foord wrote:
> 			.
> 		[a treasure trove
> 		of valuable material]
> 			.
> 			.
>
>> Reasons .NET programmers should be interested in IronPython even if they
>> won't switch to it as a primary development language:
>>
>>      * Scripting tasks
>>      * Powerful REPL for interactive exploration of .NET assemblies and
>> classes with live objects
>>      * Easy to embed in .NET applications (easy to interact with C# /
>> VB.NET) for providing user scripting
>>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> Michael, I can't thank you enough.  It's this last theme
> that I'll make most prominent, by the way; I do my best
> gently directing listeners' gaze in a different direction,
> rather than rousing the rabble to dramatic action.

Cool - and I agree. Once you whet their appetite and get people started
Python speaks for itself. IronPython was designed from the very start to
be easy to embed, so it really is almost trivially simple to use it to
add user scripting to applications (or for rapid prototyping of ideas).
There are a host of examples online (including on my website).

If you have Silverlight installed http://www.trypython.org/ is a useful
resource.

All the best,

Michael