[AstroPy] Python FITS Stuff

ptak at snooker.phys.cmu.edu ptak at snooker.phys.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 15 14:21:38 EDT 1999

Hello,
If you want an statically-linked, extended Python that is capable of
reading and writing fits images, I have that, at least for Linux and
Solaris.  I have an application written mostly in Python that does surface
brightness fitting, with or without convolving with a PSF.  I am using a
C++ class library for reading/writing fits images (the C++ classes check
for exposure and astrometry keywords, at least the old-fashioned CDELT1,
etc. ones).  I am using fftw for the convolutions, and to get the swig
interfaces for fftw and my C++ classes to work with the Numerical
extensions I had to combine them into one statically-linked module.  If
you want a more general purpose library, see
ftp://cossc.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/outgoing/barrett/PyFITS
or
http:ecf.hq.eso.org/~npirzkal

Cheers,
Andy Ptak