[AstroPy] Astro-Py list

Paul Barrett Barrett at stsci.edu
Thu Feb 24 09:45:59 EST 2000

Andrew Williams writes:

 > This list has been quiet since I joined - is there actually anyone out
 > there?

Yes, we're out here, but we must all be very busy.  I know I am.

I'm the maintainer of this list and have been meaning to post some
news, just to get the list going again.  Looks like you beat me to it.

 > The code is at: http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~andrew/

There are two other FITS modules out there that you may want to take a
look at.  There is my PyFITS (version 0.30) and Norbert's wrappers
around the cfitsio library.

PyFITS reads most FITS files reasonably well at this point, but more
work needs to be done to handle ASCII and binary tables and to write
files easily.  I'd appreciate more astronomers using and commenting on
this package.

Other news is that a group of us at STScI are considering a re-write
of Numeric to make it more efficient and to handle large arrays more
transparently (using mmap).  You might want to check the Numeric
mailing list at SourceForge for recent posting about this.  Any
opinions or support on this topic would be welcome.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Dr. Paul Barrett       Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-516-6714    ESS/DPT