[AstroPy] MayaVi Data Visualizer

W.T. Bridgman William.T.Bridgman.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 3 08:14:12 EST 2004

I've used it for my work with Sun-Earth Connection/Divsion, primarily
as a tool for examining dataset features before exporting isosurface
meshes to a more powerful graphics rendering package.  I've used it
under MacOS X, Linux and IRIX.

When you have real 3-D data, which I guess means a model in most of
astrophysics, I find it very useful.  You can also script processes
with it using Python to make simple animations.  Currently it uses a
bit of a hack to handle time-varying volumetric data.

The biggest headache is trying to get data into the VTK format.  I've
got a few python scripts that will construct unstructured grids,
polydata, etc. for some datasets, but the files tend to be huge (I
usually use the text format so I can examine them more carefully).

My $0.02 worth,
Tom
On Dec 2, 2004, at 11:24 PM, Shashikiran Ganesh wrote:

> Has anyone used the MayaVi Data Visualizer http://mayavi.sf.net ?  It
> is
> written in python and uses the VTK for graphics and Tkinter for GUI.  I
> tried it sometime but it does not support fits format directly so have
> not
> spent much time exploring it with my datasets.  The screenshots look
> quite
> impressive.  It maybe quite interesting to use with 3D fits images
> (spectral data for example).  I guess it is a question of getting VTK
> understand fits.
>
> I am just looking into the capabilities of matplotlib...
>
> -Shashikiran
>
> --
> 2004-12-03 at 9:41am IST
> --------
> Shashikiran Ganesh                  |  shashi at prl.res.in
> Physical Research Laboratory        |
> Astronomy and Astrophysics Division |  http://www.prl.res.in/~shashi
> Ahmedabad 380 009, India            |  http://www.iap.fr/users/shashi

Dr. William T."Tom" Bridgman               Scientific Visualization
Studio
Global Science & Technology, Inc.          NASA/Goddard Space Flight
Center
Email: William.T.Bridgman.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov  Code 935
Phone: 301-286-1346                        Greenbelt, MD 20771
FAX:   301-286-1634                        http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/