[AstroPy] Python spectral fitting package - ala Sherpa

Andrew Ptak ptak at pha.jhu.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:00:24 EST 2004

Hello,

Sorry if this is getting a bit off-topic, but concerning these two, first
the latest verison of XSPEC is object-oriented (written in C++) but hasn't
been released yet.  This opens the possibility a little more of wrapping
higher-level objects in python.  Second, I have a program that does 2-d
fitting on images using Numeric (see http://xassist.pha.jhu.edu/ximgfit).
It works fine for my purposes however I suspect it is a bit inefficient at
the moment due to the creation of temporaries.  For example, since
everything is in python the models are simply .py files (this of course
was one of the design goals, to allow models to be added without
recompiling).  Here is the code for computing a 2-d Gaussian model:
     def Eval(self, x, y):
        xc = self.params[0].value
        yc = self.params[1].value
        norm = self.params[2].value
        sigmax = self.params[3].value
        sigmay = self.params[4].value
        theta = self.params[5].value
        cost = cos(theta/radeg)
        sint = sin(theta/radeg)
        dx = x-xc
        dy = y-yc
        rx = dx*cost + dy*sint
        ry = -dx*sint + dy*cost
        z2 = rx*rx/(sigmax*sigmax)+ry*ry/(sigmay*sigmay)
        # Avoid overflow errors
        z2 = self.min(z2, 100.)
        result = norm*exp(-z2/2)
        return(result)

In this design, x and y are 2-D arrays.  If I am not mistaken, in the line
with z2 = rx* ... 7 temporaries are created.  From what I have heard
weave.blitz() may be a solution but I haven't had a chance to play with
that.  But my main point is that in general it may be tricky to be as
efficient as the case where most of the computation is done at the C/C++
level since the programmer will have some insight, and with scripting
languages only being used for the UI.

Andy Ptak