[AstroPy] [Ann] PyGuide

Russell E Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 22 19:18:40 EDT 2004

Announcing PyGuide, a package to support guiding.

PyGuide uses python, numarray and some custom C extensions to find
stars, centroid and fit star shapes (not including ellipticity).

The algorithms were developed by Jim Gunn and were originally
designed for guiding on images sent through a coherent fiber bundle.
Thus they work well even if bits of the image are missing, so long as
you have a proper mask. In fact our tests show that this code can
handle guiding on a slitviewer, where the object is mostly down the
slit (so long as you pay attention to the predicted centroid error
and don't try to overcorrect when the error is large).

Jim Gunn's original C code has been guiding the SDSS for something
like a year now, with great success. We have been using PyGuide for
several months to guide our 3.5m telescope with an offset guider
(again, quite successfully). We expect to start guiding on an Echelle
slitviewer within a few months.

The code is released under the Gnu GPL license.

-- Russell