[AstroPy] AstroLibWCS & AstroLibCoords

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:42:13 EDT 2005

On Apr 20, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Alexandre Beelen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am part of the BoA [1] project which aimed to write a flexible
> software to reduce data coming from various bolometers arrays. The core
> of this software is written in python, which some extension in fortran
> for the intensive computation task. I started to implement a somehow
> light WCS system to deals with map coordinates.
>
> Before going any further, I would like to know what are the status, and
> if it was possible to access and use, the AstroLibWCS & AstroLibCoords
> library. In case where a few modules are present would it be also
> possible to participate to their development ?

We did have someone working on this. That work will be put on hold for
a month or so because of another project. I'm waiting for the Enthought
people to give us subversion privileges so we can start putting early
versions on their subversion repository (I was told that we would get
the privileges any hour now). If you want to look at what we've done I
don't have a problem sending what we have to you (some of the
interfaces may change though since it is still under development)

> I was also thinking to wrap the WCSLIB [2] using swig or something
> else,
> does any of you tried this before ?

We've done that too. If you are interested we can make the wrappers
available. We decided to see if was just as easy to re-implement and
use wcslib for test comparisons. (And it turns out, that much of the
complexity of handling FITS WCS headers is not really handled by
wcslib; it basically presumes you have extracted the necessary set of
keywords for its use (if I recall correctly).