[AstroPy] PyRAF and PyFITS code repositories moved to astropy.scipy.org

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Aug 16 17:48:27 EDT 2005

We have moved our code repositories for PyRAF and PyFITS to
astropy.scipy.org

This means that anyone will be able to obtain the current state of
either project should they need any enhancement or bug fix before it
appears in a release (or if they just feed adventurous).

We have also started using the Trac issue tracking and project
management software at scipy.org to record bugs and enhancement
requests so that any user can view existing bug and enhancement reports
for these projects. The urls for these pages are at:

http://projects.scipy.org/astropy/pyraf
http://projects.scipy.org/astropy/pyfits

The view and new Tickets tabs are for looking at and submitting new bug
reports or enhancement requests (one can still use help at stsci.edu to do
that as well).

***********
Details for those interested in retrieving the current version or
previous versions
***********

The code versioning software being used is Subversion instead of CVS.
Subversion uses the following urls for the two projects:

http://astropy.scipy.org/svn/pyraf
http://astropy.scipy.org/svn/pyfits

Notice that subversion trees typically have three components at the top:

trunk: The current main line of development
branches: Where any branches from the main line reside
tags: Where one can look at specific tagged versions

If you want to see what is in PyRAF 1.0, you would go to the tags/v1_0
subdirectory

If you want to check out from subversion, you will need a subversion
client installed on your computer (go to http://subversion.tigris.org/
to download the appropriate client)

Rather than give details of how to use subversion, I'll refer to the
on-line book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.pdf

There is one specific suggestion of something to avoid. Unless you like
to wait a long time, don't, repeat don't, check out from the top level
of the subversion directory. If you do, you will get completely filled
directory trees for every tagged version and branch for the repository.
Usually you will want to check out either the trunk, a specific branch,
or specific tag. This appears to be a common beginner error. Just to be
specific, to check out the pyraf trunk:

svn co http://astropy.scipy.org/svn/pyraf/trunk

or better yet, to check it out into a directory named pyraf (without
the trunk in the name)

svn co http://astropy.scipy.org/svn/pyraf/trunk pyraf