[AstroPy] Re: HIERARCH

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 30 20:24:52 EST 2005

>add (and not in the greatly distant future either).

That's good to hear!

>The primary issue is whether or not to automatically invoke this
>convention when updating a header that isn't already using it.

I am not intimate with the HIERARCH extension, but I don't think that
there is any difference between a header that has the extension but
doesn't happen to have any HIERARCH keywords in it, and one that
doesn't have the extension.  If that's the case, and a user adds a
HIERARCH keyword to a non-HIERARCH header, you can assume they know
what they are doing and enable it without some funky switch (it won't
happen by accident).  If it's not the case, clearly you don't want to
write HIERARCH-enabled headers for all files.

--jh--