[AstroPy] Re: HIERARCH

Andrew Ptak ptak at pha.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 31 11:07:50 EST 2005

> Maybe the way to do this is to have a "strict" flag as a property of
> the header (separate from actual header entries like SIMPLE=T), and to
> clear it if there is a non-standard extension or a recoverable error
> in the file when read.

It would also make sense to add a "strict" keyword to header functions,
to turn toggle FITS conformance testing (or exceptions).  I haven't had
a chance to use pyfits yet (mainly due to poor performance of numarray
with small arrays... is this still a problem, by the way?), but this
makes me wonder if there already are fits conformance exceptions.

Andy