[AstroPy] python XPA module?

Russell E Owen rowen at u.washington.edu
Tue May 17 12:26:33 EDT 2005

At 9:56 AM -0600 2005-05-17, David King wrote:
>Hi folks:
>
>I'm wondering if someone has made the XPA messaging system available
>as a python module.  As I understand it, it is used by DS9's gui
>process to receive user input from a user-level process.  I have a
>viewer somewhat similar to DS9 that I'm trying to move to the python
>world; I need console/scripted input as well as normal
>responsiveness to events on the gui.
>
>I imagine a python-XPA module would be quite useful in many other
>contexts as well.

Is your viewer going to be publicly available, and if so, might you
tell us more about it?

The RO package* includes a DS9 module that uses xpa to do its thing.
You could easily adapt it for use with other xpa apps. However, it's
not as fast as it might be -- it calls the command-line xpa commands
rather than linking to the C API.

I also have a SWIG interface for xpa from a colleague; I have sent
him email to ask him how publicly available it is and will let you
know.

-- Russell

*available from <http://www.astro.washington.edu/rowen/ROPython.html>.