[AstroPy] pyfits query: how to include a bit mask?

Maurizio Panniello maurizio at iac.es
Tue Oct 11 10:25:14 EDT 2005

An idea can be to store the masks as png files (you can use PIL library
or directly with ImageMagik )
Png compress very well uniform patterns so if your mask have large
uniform zone can reach very high
compression factors.
When you have trasfered the png files (included in fits as data if you
want) you can than retransform these in fits format and join with your
data for analisis.