[AstroPy] [SciPy-user] FITS images with header-supplied axes?

humufr at yahoo.fr humufr at yahoo.fr
Tue Apr 1 10:41:02 EDT 2008

				Hello,

I just want to discuss about a problem that our python astronomer have and the
answer from Perry is a very good example of it. There are too many projects
which are doing exactly the same thing and essentially because nothing is
centralized or worst, in the case of pywcs, not advertised.

For example Perry told us about pywcs developped by STSCI (it was the first
time I saw any reference to this project) but Adam spoke about
astlib ( http://astlib.sourceforge.net/ ) which are different package with
exactly the same goal and I did myself something similar (even if it was fast
and dirtier).

I think it's time to try to identified the most important task that the
astronomer are needing and try to centralized all the effort at the same
place. The astropy mail list is probably a good start as the
astropy.scipy.org website.

Perhaps we can start to identified the need and desiderata. We will have too
many but that some most important or urgent must be identified. As example,
we clearly needed the pywcs and thanks to STSCI we have it now. We also need
a package to plot our data, images etc. Matplotlib is very good but does have
a major problem (at least for my point of view), it's slow, very slow for big
array or can't even produce the image if the image is too big. ( If I
remember a precedent discussion, the problem is mainly due to Agg.)

After we need to know, if possible, for which project if someone is doing
something, who and how to contact him/her. So interested people can
eventually help him/her to do it. It's seems that STSCI is doing most of the
work but I'm pretty sure that other people are willingly to help them to
extend python to be the ideal tool for astronomer.

Just my 2 cents,

Nicolas