[AstroPy] numarray pdf 1.5 is broken. Using numdisplay, Python, PIL, and Tkinter

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 08:32:29 EDT 2009

Hi, it must be than that the version of the pyfits user manual I found
is out of date, since it talks about numarray.
I just wanted to confirm that I understood the role of ds9, which is as
you essentially wrote, is a program and not a python module.
I just found the numpy manual, Dec. 7, 2006, by Oliphant. Is that the
current one? It mentions fits once, and image about 5 times (mostly as
what seems to be a module). Here are a few lines from the manual:

    • nd image –> scipy.ndimage
    • convolve –> scipy.stsci.convolve
    • image –> scipy.stsci.image
    If you don’t want to install all of scipy, you can grab just these
    packages from SVN
    using

imshow is not found in it. The manual is close to 350 pages. I certainly
don't want to print it if it doesn't meet my needs. To put it in terms
of Python, consider:

import Image
im = Image.open("lena.ppm")
print im.format, im.size, im.mode
im.show()

I'm looking for a capability somewhat like that above for fits, and not
ppm. show is pretty primitive, but the the idea is that I want this
little program to display lena.fits.