[AstroPy] Parameter 'origin' in WCS-methods

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:32:47 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

The various ways to call the pix2sky or sky2pix methods are

wcs.wcs_pix2sky(x,y,0)
wcs.wcs_pix2sky(x,y,1)
wcs.wcs_pix2sky(xy,0)
wcs.wcs_pix2sky(xy,1)

where x and y are 1D numpy arrays and xy is a 2D array. The API is
described here: http://stsdas.stsci.edu/astrolib/pywcs-1.4-4.3_api/

In the FITS standard, the bottom left pixel is defined as (1,1)
whereas numpy arrays are zero-based, so the bottom left pixel in the
image is (0,0). Basically, the origin argument specifies whether you
want to assume the bottom left pixel is (1,1) (origin=1) or (0,0)
(origin=0). Does this make any sense?

Cheers,

Thomas