[AstroPy] Books on pylab, scipy, ...?

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 19 17:48:12 EST 2010

Thanks very much for your description.  From what I can pull out of the
book via Amazon makes me think it would be more useful than anything
I've found on the web.  I'm very familiar with math and stat methods, so
that's of minimal interest to understanding how the packages plan together.

To tighten up my knowledge on these subjects, I plan to go to a monthly
PUG meeting San Francisco Bay Area next week to talk to live people
about these matters and others. It's 180 miles from here, but I still
have family and friends there, so  problem with distance.

What prompted me to post this message is matplotlib.  I began earnestly
considering its plot facility, plain plot (line plot) in pyplot, about 2
weeks ago. I immediately got stuck on what I would call the weird
behavior of show(). In time, I got that under control and discovered
some highly usable parts of matplotlib. I am still new to it, but see
the benefits.

About two  days ago, I looked at the plot and decided it needed to have
a large circle drawn around it. The plot is the somewhat zig-zag plot of
a all-sky camera I use, and the data captured by it, track points. The
circle would represent the horizon that camera sees. As far as I know,
there's no way to draw a circle, except one. Put a large marker at the
center point of the pixels where the zenith would be. It'll work, but
left me thinking why I couldn't just draw it in  some "normal" way. That
made me wonder if I was seeing the whole picture of scipy, pylab, and so
on. However, I've begun getting familiar with them now.

Regarding MatLab, I happen to have a 5 year old student copy that I have
barely used, since I purchased it. It's given me some insight to MPL,
but I have no plans to dig into ML. Python is quite suitable.

Another tact I plan to use is to review  OOP inheritance in Pyhon. It's
been a while since I used OOP, and I think there's a key there to
understanding how these facilities work together.