[AstroPy] Python documentation (was IDL to Python Switchers Guide)

James Turner jturner at gemini.edu
Sun Jul 11 16:33:43 EDT 2010

Hi Kelle et al.,

I'm not much of an IDL user personally, but I think this kind of
documentation is great.

I see there are a few different wiki sites cropping up, as well as
what's on SciPy (eg. the topical software astro section and AstroLib):

  http://scipy.org/Topical_Software#head-4891fc4038123c6a923398225a728ec92ddb2780
  http://scipy.org/AstroLib

Clearly some of this old SciPy stuff could do with an update -- I
might have a quick go at that.

In the context of the "co-ordinating libraries" thread, how do people
feel about the way information is distributed? Should more information
go on the SciPy pages? What about Thomas's astrokits, if we do them?
Should astropython.org be associated with scipy.org and Astrolib? I
don't want to push the authors around, but it seems a good time to
consider such questions.

Whatever happens, I'd personally like to maintain a strong link
between our AstroLib/AstroPy developments and SciPy -- but without
limiting our flexibility too much (eg. avoiding some shortcomings that
Joe pointed to). That way we combine forces with the wider scientific
community and don't just get a bigger installation headache from
moving to Python ;-).

Cheers,

James.