[AstroPy] Co-ordinating Python astronomy libraries?

Wolfgang Kerzendorf wkerzendorf at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 14 11:02:52 EDT 2010

  Hello,

So finally I also managed to put some of my libraries online at
http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~wkerzend/astropy. I have followed the
discussion over the last few days and I think its great. Of course here
my 2 cents ;-):

I have read this once or twice already: I think there's a need for
common base classes so that we can use these new python libraries
together. This is very important especially now that this python
astronomy library starts to take shape.

Time and coordinate base classes were mentioned. I think pyephem might
be the way to go here as Rhodesmill has already implemented quite a bit
of both. The next thing is a 2D image class and I read from James's
email that there's AstroData in preparation at Gemini . Is there any
release ETA on AstroData?

With pyspec I have a prototype for a 1D spectrum and echelle class. It
can easily read spectra in a column seperated format:
data=spectrum('myspec.dat'). You can easily slice spectra:
data2=data[4000.:4050.] (if you give it a float for slicing it will use
the wavelength instead of the array index). You can do arithmetic with
spectra and it does a simple linear interpolate on the second spectrum
to match the wavelength grid of the first: data3=data1/data2.

I hope that we can get some base classes fairly soon, so that the
development of new tools already includes them.

Distribution wise I think there's many choices at the moment. I suggest
trying something like scipy superpack for the moment. It's basically a
shell script that will download the package tgzs and will run python
setup.py install on them. It works well and is easy to write.

The advantage of this system is that it is fairly easy to implement and
the community can see what will come in the next year from distutil and
the likes.

I'm really excited about all these developments and hope that they will
be a big improvement for astronomy.

Cheers
     Wolfgang