[AstroPy] Astrolib relocated to new hosting site

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 14 17:00:01 EDT 2010

We've relocated the astrolib repository to a new hosting site. This
site we hope will provide both reliable access and ease of giving
access to people that are willing to make code contributions or
modifications. Previously we were hosting it at STScI but regulations
required by NASA for their computer systems made the process of adding
access to repositories for non-employees cumbersome.

Our hope is that this repository will become a center of astronomy
community contributed code for Python. If you have written a module
that you believe is useful for others and would like to make it
available, please consider keeping the code in the astrolib
repository. There are a number of benefits to doing so:

- Having your code sitting close to other astronomy tools will help
other contributors be aware of the tools contained with yours and that
could very well influence their tools (cross-pollination, awareness of
inconsistent interfaces, etc.), or provide very useful feedback or
input for your tools (and perhaps even code modifications or
enhancements for your tools).
- It makes it easier for those packaging toolsets for astronomy to
include your module since it is one less site to determine details of
how to extract the right version for testing and distribution.
- You will get some free testing and building infrastructure as part
of hosting it there (we plan to run regular builds and regression
tests on several popular platforms.
- It will help in generating more consistent documentation (perhaps
not useful to you, but certainly to users).

We (initially anyway) wish to have a very lightweight process for
contributed code. If the primary developer team for the site thinks
the code is potentially useful, you will be given commit privileges to
add the code. Although the commit privileges allow one to modify any
code on astrolib, we expect people with privileges to only modify code
on modules and packages they are involved with (and we will list the
leaders of each package or module so that people interested in making
contributions or changes can contact them for permission to make
changes).

We will encourage at least minimum level of documentation and tests
(in order to be included with any distributed software), but we intend
to err on the side of less restrictiveness. We would like these things
to be driven mostly by social pressure rather than by bureaucratic
processes. Many of the details of how this will work haven't really
been specified, and we intend to go with what works best in practice
(i.e., let's see how things work first before making rules).

There are some minimal requirements. The software:

- must be useful for astronomy (but we don't rule out general purpose
tools that aren't available else where (we'll worry about contributing
to scipy or other more general purpose sets when the software proves
useful in other fields)
- must have an open source license (preferably BSD, MIT, LGPL, but we
can accept GPL)
- must be usable from Python
- may call other languages or even executables that are not part of
the repository.
- may include embedded C, C++, Fortran code called from Python

To see what the repository currently contains:

http://svn6.assembla.com/svn/astrolib/  (subversion URL)
https://trac6.assembla.com/astrolib (trac URL)

We are very interested in feedback about what would make this a more
useful repository of astronomical software for Python.

We'll be publishing on the site's wiki more details later about what
we would like to see in contributed code (documentation, installation
conventions, etc).

To contribute a package or module, or to get commit privileges to
existing modules, contact Perry Greenfield (perry at stsci.edu) or James
Turner (jturner at gemini.edu)