[AstroPy] python equivalent to IDL routine smooth

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:49:06 EDT 2010

It's not exactly a replacement for those particular codes, but I've
heard good things about PyWavelets (although I haven't personally used
it myself...) as an all-purpose wavelet transform tool:

http://www.pybytes.com/pywavelets/

Although this might be a bit more in-depth than the original message
was asking about...

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Joe Harrington <jh at physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
> Recall that in Fourier space everything wraps, so be sure to subtract
> the mean and pad your data in a field of zeros large enough that your
> kernel won't average data on the left edge with data from the right,
> etc.  Then transform, multiply, transform back, trim, and add back the
> mean.
>
> There are some very nice wavelet-based smoothing methods, as well,
> See paper by Torrence and Compo for painless introduction:
>
> http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/software.html
>
> I found the paper easier to learn from than the tutorial on the web
> site.  No python code there but there are routines available in
> Python.  Perhaps someone else has a suggestion on a good replacement
> for the code on that page in Python.
>
> --jh--

Erik Tollerud