[AstroPy] Summer scholar

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:19:36 EDT 2010

Unless it's been done, I'd love to see this IDL/Matlab/FORTRAN code

http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/
http://paos.colorado.edu/research/wavelets/bams_79_01_0061.pdf

implemented in Python.  *Lots* of people use it, and the lack of it is
a factor in some people's decision to stick with IDL.  There are a few
Python wavelet codes and I haven't looked at any of them, so maybe all
that needs to be done is to implement the high-level stuff there
(tests and examples) in an existing Python wavelet code.  An
assessment of those and their suitability for tasks as outlined in the
accompanying paper would be a great contribution for 8 weeks of
undergrad work!  I used this package, e.g., in my most recent ApJ
paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.3570
See especially the nearly-noiseless global transform!

--jh--