[AstroPy] SciPy docs marathon: a little more info

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:43:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 2:05 AM, David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, all!  The scipy doc marathon has gotten off to a very slow start this
> summer.  We are producing less than 1000 words a week, perhaps because
> many universities are still finishing up spring classes.  So, this is
> a second appeal to everyone to pitch in and help get scipy documented
> so that it's easy to learn how to use it.  Because some of the
> packages are quite specialized, we need both "regular" contributors to
> write lots of pages, and some people experienced in using each module
> (and the mathematics behind the software) to make sure we don't water
> it down or make it wrong in the process.  If you can help, please, now is
> the
> time to step forward.  Thanks!
>
> On behalf of Joe and myself,
>
> David Goldsmith
> Olympia, WA

(Apparently this didn't go through the first time.)

OK, a few people have come forward - thanks!

Let me enumerate the categories that still have no "declared" volunteer
writer-editors (all categories are in need of leaders):

Max. Entropy, Misc., Image Manip. (Milestone 6)
Signal processing (Milestone 8)
Sparse Matrices (Milestone 9)
Spatial Algorithms., Special funcs. (Milestone 10)
C/C++ Integration (Milestone 13)

As for the rest, only Interpolation (Milestone 3) has more than one person
(but I'm one of the two), and I'm the only person on four others.

So, hopefully, knowing specifically which areas are in dire need will
inspire people skilled in those areas to sign up.  Thanks for your time and
help,

DG

PS: For your convenience, here's the link to the scipy
Milestones<http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/Milestones/>page.  (Note that
the Milestones link at the top of each Wiki page links,
incorrectly in the case of the SciPy pages, to the NumPy Milestones page,
which we are not actively working on in this Marathon; this is a known,
reported bug in the Wiki program.)