[AstroPy] IDL to Python Switchers Guide

Kelle Cruz kellecruz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 20:18:21 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I've sketched out a table on the AstroBetter wiki to use a "Switchers Guide"
from IDL. But it will also for developers so that they can see what's
already been migrated.

http://www.astrobetter.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Python+Switchers+Guide

My idea is to list the IDL Astrolib routines, their equivalent/similar
functionality python module, followed by a brief description.  The table
currently includes the sum total of my Python knowledge so it's up to the
community to fill it in.  I also included in the table a couple IDL routines
that probably have Python equivalents but that I just haven't figured out
yet.  (i couldn't quite figure out what to make of the Starlink package.)
 Also, feel free to add modules that are useful but that don't have an IDL
equivalent. It's a wiki, so edit away.  You'll just have to register....

I spent some time writing out the syntax for the pyfits header manipulation
stuff, but if you just want to include the package and module, that'll be
better than nothing.  I also based the sections and their order on the
Astrolib page: http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/contents.html

btw, it is not my intention to duplicate the content that's already on the
NumPy for IDL users site: http://mathesaurus.sourceforge.net/idl-numpy.html

Anyway, for you python gurus out there...next time you're procrastinating
but still want to do something productive, fill in some of the table!

kelle

--
Kelle Cruz, PhD
Assistant Professor, Hunter College