[AstroPy] all-sky map

Jonathan Slavin jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:32:16 EDT 2011

To all:

I'm looking for a way to plot an all-sky map of modeled data using a
Hammer-Aitoff projection.  The way I've done this in IDL is to create a
uniform x-y grid, translate that l, b using the proper conversion for an
Aitoff projection and generate the data on that grid.  I then display
the image and overlay an Aitoff grid (which I also generate).  So the
image is rectangular and extends beyond the plot edges.  That is fine,
but then all the labeling, etc. has to be done by hand.  Is there an
easier way?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Jonathan D. Slavin              Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu         60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981           Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
 cell: (781) 363-0035           USA