[AstroPy] Aperture photometry

Rene Breton superluminique at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:35:54 EDT 2011

The plan is to deliver comparable functionality as the IDL astrolib
routine. This means been able to perform the aperture photometry from an
image array, given a list of coordinates, apertures, etc. The actual
function arguments might be different to make it more modern and the
algorithms might be improved, if possible.

The aper.pro (http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/pro/idlphot/aper.pro)
routine deals specifically with circular aperture photometry (polygonal
could eventually be added if someone wants to extend the circular
aperture one). According to the documentation there are two methods to
deal with subpixels, a polygonal approximation and an exact calculation.
Here is the quote:

; /EXACT -  By default, APER counts subpixels, but uses a polygon
; approximation for the intersection of a circular aperture with
; a square pixel (and normalizes the total area of the sum of the
; pixels to exactly match the circular area).   If the /EXACT
; keyword, then the intersection of the circular aperture with a
; square pixel is computed exactly.    The /EXACT keyword is much
; slower and is only needed when small (~2 pixels) apertures are
; used with very undersampled data.

So my idea is also to provide different algorithms. The first is the
crude aperture, with no subpixel. The second will be the polygonal
approximation, which is fine in most situations, and last will be the
exact. I'm still at the stage of taking apart the code and reorganizing
it so I can't tell much more about the algorithm.

Rene