[AstroPy] Table join with fits tables (or something else)

Erin Sheldon erin.sheldon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 23:37:41 EST 2011

The fitsio package supports querying a FITS file without reading the
data into memory.

https://github.com/esheldon/fitsio

You could use this functionality to perform a "join" by writing some
wrapper functions.  I would be interested in this if you did, and
maybe we could work it into the main package if it is general enough

-e

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Taro Sato <taro at ap.smu.ca> wrote:
> Hi there.  Sorry for a lazy question.. but is anyone here aware of any
> Python utility that makes it easy to do table join operations (as in
> SQL) with FITS tables?
>
> I'm primarily using PyFITS to store data now and wish to avoid
> substantial reconstruction of data structures just to accommodate such
> operations, but if that means moving on to a different package, I'd
> like to consider if the transition is worth it...
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Taro

Erin Scott Sheldon
Brookhaven National Laboratory