[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Erik Tollerud erik.tollerud at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:59:10 EDT 2011

Technically, we're waiting until the poll closes (9pm EST tonight),
but as you say, there's not much doubt as to the result at this point.

We (the Coordination Committee) are currently working on the important
starting points (coding style, documentation style, and similar)
mentioned in the vision.  Once we have drafts, we will send them out
for review by the community - this shouldn't take too long, as most of
this is fairly straightforward (although very crucial to agree on at
the outset).  Once that's done, we will implement the necessary
infrastructure code that the vision calls for (e.g. documentation
outlines, the template package, configuration/data code, and the
installer script), ASAP.  This shouldn't take too long (I speculate a
few weeks), as it's mostly stuff that's already been implemented in
other forms and just needs tweaking.  There's been no decision yet as
to whether or not this will be a "release," although once the initial
work is done, although at that point it makes sense for people to
start using at least the development version.

At the same time, we will start identifying the initial areas of work
for modules, and community members can begin work either writing new
packages to satisfy those needs, or start adapting existing packages
to the astropy framework.  Additionally, we will start accepting
affiliated packages once we have the index of packages up and running.

--
Erik Tollerud