[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Ole Streicher astropy at liska.ath.cx
Wed Jul 6 04:06:20 EDT 2011

Am 05.07.2011 19:45, schrieb Mark Sienkiewicz:
> If you look in the current astrolib.pywcs, you'll see that it makes use
> of a wcs library by incorporating the entire source code of the third
> party library.  This is particularly convenient for users because they
> can just install the python package and expect it to work.  This is a
> way that you can make third party routines available without creating
> additional dependencies, though it does involve some work for the
> developer.  (But then, that is what developers do, right?  They do some
> extra work to make things easier for the user.)

I am not completely happy with this: On some systems, the
third-party-package may be already installed, or may be installed with
the package management system. For pywcs, there are already wcslib
packages available for Fedora and Ubuntu, so there would be no need to
install them again -- resolving the dependency is done by the package
management system. Another point is that one may run into difficulties
since bug fixes in the original package take some time to find their way
into the python package.

For this reason, it would be good if there was a choice of using the
original package in case it is already installed instead of the one that
was packed with the python package. This would make the life for Linux
(Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE) package creators much easier.

Best regards

Ole