[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 6 13:55:44 EDT 2011

Here is the current IRAF statement with regard to that:
(http://iraf.noao.edu/faq/FAQsec01.html#1008)

Is IRAF public domain software?
Although IRAF is available free of charge over the network to anyone
who may find it useful it is not considered public domain software
since it is copyrighted. Here is part of the copyright notice that
appears in the distributed system.
-----------------
Copyright(c) 1986 Association of Universities for Research in
Astronomy Inc. The IRAF software is publicly available, but is NOT in
the public domain. The difference is that copyrights granting rights
for unrestricted use and redistribution have been placed on all of the
software to identify its authors. You are allowed and encouraged to
take this software and use it as you wish, subject to the restrictions
outlined below. Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this
software and its documentation is hereby granted without fee, provided
that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both
that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
documentation, and that references to the Association of Universities
for Research in Astronomy Inc. (AURA), the National Optical Astronomy
Observatories (NOAO), or the Image Reduction and Analysis Facility
(IRAF) not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
distribution of the software without specific, written prior
permission from NOAO. NOAO makes no representations about the
suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is"
without express or implied warranty. NOAO DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL NOAO BE LIABLE FOR ANY
SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF
CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
******

So no, there is no similar requirement for IRAF that you must
acknowledge its use.

Perry