[AstroPy] Thoughts on growing a productive open-source community

Vicki Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 6 22:17:12 EDT 2011

This essay by the Volunteer Development Coordinater for Wikimedia makes some interesting points that I thought might be useful as we try to organize around astropy, in particular as regards including people who are relative newbs -- in the case of astropy, that might be astronomers who have written their own one-off scripts or evolving programs for their own research before, but not done anything more formal in the way of software development.

http://geekfeminism.org/2011/07/02/put-up-or-shut-up/

Anybody have links to other resources about growing a FLOSS community, or inspiring anecdotes or cautionary tales on the subject?