[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Ole Streicher astropy at liska.ath.cx
Fri Jul 8 04:04:25 EDT 2011

Am 07.07.2011 21:07, schrieb Mark Sienkiewicz:
> I absolutely need to talk about users.  It is a mistake to think that
> users only ever install software from the packages that package
> maintainers are creating.

As long as the packages fullfill their needs, it is (from the user's
point of view) the easiest solution. I think nothing can beat a "select
astropy in the  Ubuntu software center" or a one-click install on
openSUSE; so the preferred way (from the user's view) should be even that.

Today's Linux versions have a defined support cycle, and I would just
stick to their philosophy for the default installation.

> Users typically know just enough to make their computer work, and
> (judging from the support tickets I handle) some of them don't even know
> that.  You should expect that because they are concentrating on their
> application (e.g. astronomy) rather than the computer.  For them, all
> the default choices should work as smoothly and easily as possible.

That's why I am propagating to make the installation as seamless as
possible: use the standard package management system that is provided by
the system as default.

> I am quite reluctant to use things that automatically select software
> for me, because I have had them choose badly on so many occasions.

This may happen if the packages are broken. But since we are speaking
about *creating* packages, we take care of this ourself, right?

I think, "standard" for a user meas always "use the package management
provided with the system": this is what the user is familar with,
especially on Linux.

> At the end, this is the solution that we can both agree on.  You can
> tell it to use the external library when you want to, and I can tell it
> not to.  As long as it responds correctly to our respective directives,
> it works well for everybody.

Agreed.

Best regards

Ole