[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Matt Davis mrdavis at stsci.edu
Fri Jul 8 09:02:31 EDT 2011

> That's why I am propagating to make the installation as seamless as
> possible: use the standard package management system that is provided by
> the system as default.

As food for thought I'll just point out that Macs do not come with a package management system and the third party managers that exist tend to be under populated and/or not work very well. As a Mac user, package managers are not my first choice for installing software.

In another thread on this list it has come up that package mangers often require admin privileges, preventing institutional users from installing from repos.

We should support package managers, of course, but let's not make things overly difficult for people who must install manually.

Best,

Matt Davis